Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Courtesy (was Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-)
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:27:43 -0700

When I first moved to Honolulu back in the mid 80s, I quickly learned that
eye contact with many South Pacific Islanders constituted a threat or
challenge.  I remember my first week there, standing at a Waipahu bus stop,
I asked someone standing there about the bus schedule.  The response was:
"Whatchoo like?  You like beef o what?"  (Translated: "What do you want?  Do
you want to fight?"

It's much the same in parts of the urban USA.  A direct look in the eye will
elicit: "Whatchoo lookin' at?" or worse.   Some 15 years ago, I found myself
lost in Newark, NJ.  I stopped in what looked like a residential area and
asked a gentleman for directions.  He turned, scowled and said: "Son,
diretchuns is maatee 'spensive in this paat o town."

I think Joseph hit it on the head with his comment below.  Some people feel
that being courteous somehow reflects weakness and vulnerability.

- --Jim

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] OT: Courtesy (was Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-))
Message from "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: Courtesy (was Oh ... It's COMING SOON! :-))