Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Digilux 1 questions
From: "SonC \(Sonny Carter\)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 08:07:27 -0500

Sure, Marc

Nothing wrong with 30 year old oly!  But as always, your mileage will
vary.
I've done the 11x17's on a Epson 1520,  (ancient by today's
technology,) and at correct viewing ranges, the prints are nothing
short of
beautiful.   The one that comes to mind especially is the Chief David
shot
with detailed feathers and jewelry, as well as his breastplate.

http://www.sonc.com/Chief_Davis.htm

Now if you scrutinize the print from up close, you'll see a definite
difference over a scanned film shot.  The Digilux LC5 handles contrast
differently. Not better, not worse, just differently.

While  8x10's I pull from the kiosk at Wal-Mart seem to be pretty
nice,
they exhibit the same characteristics as regards detail in  dark areas
as
ink jets do.

I just bought an Epson 825, and  am delighted with the output.  So far
have not printed any film files for comparison, but I will soon.

I still carry my M6, and love it, but I tend to keep the LC5 at ready
all
the time.   They really are two different tools,  each with strong
points.  I am still learning to use the LC5, but the more I use it,
the better I'm getting.  Nice thing is the learning curve is met in a
far more economical fashion.

As far as landscapes, I don't think I could have done red clover in
this fashion  with film at all.   http://www.sonc.com/red_clover.htm

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com/