Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Inge Morath & the PBS Capa documentary
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:07:26 -0500

I just finished the book on Inge Morath I bought in Chicago last weekend
and it is a really good work.  Wish I could be at the Leica Gallery when
Regina Strassegger will be there but no chance.  Great book for anyone
interested.

Gene

                      "Sal DiMarco,Jr."
                      <sdmp007@pressroom.com>             To:       "LUG >for posts" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  [Leica] Re: Inge Morath & the PBS Capa documentary
                      -alto.ca.us

                      05/30/2003 08:31 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

Fellow Luggers,
    For all you Inge Morath lovers out there....
    The Leica Gallery in New York City (670
Broadway)(212-777-3051)(leicaphoto@aol.com ) will exhibit "INGE
MORATH- Last Journey" from June 27th through August 9th.
    On Saturday June 28th, there will be a book signing by Regina
Strassegger the author of Inge's last book, "INGE MORATH- Last Journey."
    As to the American Masters Robert Capa piece. It wasn't completely
factually accurate but neither was Capa when it came to telling a good
story. So, I guess we shouldn't be so hard on the producers.
    In any event, I'm told Cornell Capa and Richard Whelan (Capa's
biographer) were both happy with the show.
    How many of you noticed the "new" photos in the show? There were many
unpublished photos from all his  war coverage and plenty of new photos of
him. I was surprized they panned across a contact sheet of some of the
ruined D-Day negatives and it was interesting to see more of the Ruth Orkin
take of him at a restaurant. Until now, all we ever saw was the one photo
of
him with an impish grin and a hand on his face.
    Also, several of the photos of Robert were taken by Henri
Cartier-Bresson and in the show were "cropped" by the producers. Naughty,
naughty!!!
    Lastly, someone mentioned the photo of Robert with all the Rollies.
This
photo was taken in Israel and was a gag photo. Capa did shoot a lot of 120
and even some 4x5, but to the knowledge of the best Capa historians and his
brother, he never carried three Rollies as in the photo.
Happy Snaps,
Sal

Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA