Subject: RE: [Leica] Use film, or block the panel!
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 18:10:38 -0400

Felix,

> And, Austin, a DSLR cannot, by design, have both reflex optical viewer
> "and" live LCD vision as the only sensor for feeding direct vision is
> the main captor who, before the shoot, is behind the instant return
> mirror.

Er, right.  I believe I already pointed this out.  It is a property of the
sensor that it can't do simultaneous display.  The sensors used in the DSLRs
require a shutter, and that the shutter be closed before and after exposure.
Something could be worked out, but the shutter would have to be open, then
closed, then open, then closed...which, typically, requires a winding
in-between.

I've worked on this issue (creating an LCD viewfinder display that works off
of the actual sensor instead of the optical viewfinder), and at this point
in time, there is no acceptable solution.

The sensors used in the little P&S digicams is called an Interline sensor,
and it is usable for simultaneous display.

Regards,

Austin