Subject: RE: [Leica] Use film, or block the panel!
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 16:25:38 -0600

?

> If you don't understand why, then what on earth are you doing
> here?  I know
> that Leica sells some little P&S film cameras, and little P&S
> digicams, but
> the majority of people here use Leica M's and R's, and for very
> intentional
> purposes, which is typically image quality.

But too many get fixated on the tools and don't make good pictures. Image
quality is no good to you if the image itself is garbage - It doesn't really
matter if the photograph is taken with a Phillips 8x10, a Leica a Holga or a
Polaroid - if the picture is good it's good. Sharpness and image quality
often aren't that important - we just like to think they are (often to
justify the money time and effort we put into the "equipment"...)

I've just been looking at a series of Polaroid SX70 pictures that are better
than just about anything I've ever seen taken with Leica Glass - and
certainly in colour - by one of the best LF photographers.

If it's good, it's good - doesn't matter what you use.

> I find the whole claim of not being able to "get" a particular shot with a
> 4x5 and then being happy with a little P&S digicam image of the
> "same" shot
> really funny.

Why - it just seems sensible...

tim