Subject: Re: [Leica] Is it a bargain: Digilux 1 v. Panasonic clone
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:35:24 -0400

> I tried to post this earlier, but believe I didn't succeed.  Please
> excuse the repitition if I happened to post twice.
>
> Until yesterday, I had not considered buying a digital camera.  I always
> loved film and digital just didn't appear to be my thing.
>
> However, yesterday, I came across a local store that seems to be blowing
> out the Panasonic version of the Digilux 1.  The price is $459.  The
> reduced price caused me to reflect on whether I should give digital a
> whirl.

Bottom line is an upgraded Digilux (and Panasonic neo-clone presumably) is
due out in late summer, early fall of this year---only three to four months
away.  If the upgrade solves the two main issues with the old version,
namely image noise above 100 ISO and facility to save files in RAW format,
in my humble opinion you will likely regret purchasing the soon to be
discontinued model.  That is unless you plan on shooting only in bright
sunlight and never printing an image larger than 4"x6" or thereabouts.

I am patiently waiting to jump on the new one.

Gary

Replies: Reply from "\(SonC\) Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> ([Leica] Digilux 1 v. Panasonic clone +haiku!)