Subject: [Leica] Is it a bargain: Digilux 1 v. Panasonic clone
From: "Irving Greines" <igreines@GMSR.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:36:21 -0700

I tried to post this earlier, but believe I didn't succeed.  Please
excuse the repitition if I happened to post twice.

Until yesterday, I had not considered buying a digital camera.  I always
loved film and digital just didn't appear to be my thing.

However, yesterday, I came across a local store that seems to be blowing
out the Panasonic version of the Digilux 1.  The price is $459.  The
reduced price caused me to reflect on whether I should give digital a
whirl.

I'd very much appreciate input on whether the Digilux 1 and the
Panasonic are really identical--I know both have Leica glass.  Is the
price on the Panasonic a fair price?  I'm concerned that blowing out the
Panasonic might be a prelude to a newer, much more advanced model. Is
the Digilux 1/Panasonic already so out of date that it's better to wait
for the next generation in this breathtakingly-rapid era of
technological expansion?

My purpose in going digital would simply be to have another camera along
for street shooting, so that I could take photos of people while
travelling and return with 4x5 or 4x6 prints.  I do not intend the
digital camera to be a replacement for my Leica M and medium format
gear.  I've found that giving photos to people while travelling opens up
immediate opportunities for more serious shots with the Leica M.  In the
past, I brought along an Olympus Stylus, processed color negative film
at a local 1 hour shop and returned with the prints; I'm thinking of the
Panasonic as a substitute for this approach (of course, I'd bring a
small printer for use in the hotel room).

Replies: Reply from "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Is it a bargain: Digilux 1 v. Panasonic clone)