Subject: RE: [Leica] Parasites and the so called "third world' - way OT
From: "Jeffery Smith" <jsmith@dcc.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:47:33 -0500

The parasites from animals typically don't develop normally in humans and,
as a result, wander all over wreaking havoc until they die. The worst may be
Lagochilascaris, which I studied in the 1970's. This takes up residence in
the tissues of the neck (usually) and is able to reproduce there. Horrible
death.

Bird schistosomes usually produce the world's worst itching for a week, but
no serious health problems. From wading in salt water. Human schistosomiasis
is from wading in fresh water. It is nasty for the long term.

Barefoot-caused problems are primarily hookworm (causing anemia) and
Strongyloides stercoralis.

JLS