Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Nikon Digital SLR's
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:50:47 -0400

I'm sure you will enjoy it - when it comes out in 12-14 months, which is
what Leica is apparently now predicting. Of course that probably means
when it comes out in 18-24 months, by which time it will undoubtedly be
obsolete and hideously overpriced at $4000 for a back alone. ;-)

Actually, what Leica's doing is completely predictable - precisely what
they did when first moving from rangefinders to SLRs. After all, the
digital back for the R8/R9 is nothing more than a digital version of the
Visoflex - the Digiflex: take a camera specifically designed to be one
thing, and strap a big tumor on it to turn it into something else...at a
time when other manufacturers have raced ahead into a new technology.

B. D.