Subject: Re: [Leica] okay all you supposed street photographers....
From: Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:41:41 -0400

What a delightful shock to see the posts on Louis Faurer and what a downer
to learn of his death.

Twenty-five years ago a friend named Tennyson Schad owned and ran Light
Gallery on Fifth Avenue at 57th Street in New York. He had acquired several
suites of original prints of Faurer's work and of Aaron Siskind's Harlem
Document. I bought two of the Faurer suites and three of the Siskind. A few
years later, having served on the Board of Trustees of my college, Wesleyan
University, I gave one of each to the Wesleyan Davison Art Center.

Not too long after, the Davison curated and mounted a Faurer exhibition and
Ann and I went up to the vernissage. The show was reviewed - very
favorably - in the New York Times and shortly thereafter, I had a note in
the mail from Faurer asking how I had discovered his work and where I had
got the prints. A brief correspondence followed but I never met him although
I told him that I'd love to meet him for coffee or a drink or whatever to
discuss photography in general and his work in particular. I got the
impression that his life was not going well and that he was something of a
recluse.

Remarkable eye, remarkable man. I'm sad.

Seth            LaK 9