Subject: [Leica] Light leak question
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn.mail@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:36:12 -0700

Mystery for your consideration:

Data:
My workhorse M3 body recently produced four frames (from three different
rolls) with what appear to be light leaks

The rolls were processed in two different batches (along with 21 other rolls
from two other bodies).

Only one body showed the light leaks.

One leak (on two frames) was from the short edge of the frame, extended from
the edge to the center with some stray light showing between the frames, but
none in the sprocket area.

The other (also on two non-adjacent frames) was completely different. The
leak starts in a sharp line about 1 mm from the long edge of the frame, and
fogs the whole frame except the untouched 1mm along the edge of the frame.
The part closest to the edge was fogged most. No fog in the sprocket holes
or between frames.

Shining a flashlight at the shutter with the lens off and back open shows
nothing suspicious.

Questions:

1) Can loss of vulcanite cause light leaks? I've had vulcanite fall off with
no problem in the past, but I noticed a new piece missing on that body near
the frame selection lever...

2) How about lens changes in bright light? Again, I've never had a problem
with that before.

Any insight is welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike Quinn