Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica's sensor set up for Digital Back
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:36:28 -0400

Hi Ed,

> I don't know - I guess the printout from the company stated
> specifically
> that Imacon will assist in the manufacturing of the sensor
> 'assembly' to be
> more exact. So I take it that, although they don't make their own sensors,
> they will be the go-to guys for help in mounting it, firmware, software,
> etc. Leica has teamed up with Lasersoft (Silverfast) in the past, so maybe
> their engineers will be assisting as well? The person I got the info from
> didn't even know what Imacon was or did :-) It was just in the
> report. So I
> think it's accurate to say that Imacon will have something to do
> with it...
> Which IMHO is a very good move;

Except for the fact Imacon has never had a thing to do with digital
cameras...which ARE entirely different than scanners in the fact that they
use Bayer pattern sensors, NOT tri-linear line sensors.  Both the hardware
and software design for each is entirely different...so I'm not clear really
even why Imacon would be involved, and not someone with far more experience
in this area.

Austin