Subject: [Leica] Leica's sensor set up for Digital Back
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:17:30 -0400

Austin-
    I don't know - I guess the printout from the company stated specifically
that Imacon will assist in the manufacturing of the sensor 'assembly' to be
more exact. So I take it that, although they don't make their own sensors,
they will be the go-to guys for help in mounting it, firmware, software,
etc. Leica has teamed up with Lasersoft (Silverfast) in the past, so maybe
their engineers will be assisting as well? The person I got the info from
didn't even know what Imacon was or did :-) It was just in the report. So I
think it's accurate to say that Imacon will have something to do with it...
Which IMHO is a very good move; I've only used a few of their scanners and
honestly think that they are fantastic (but very expensive). The tall 'Drum'
scanner does an impeccable job with 35mm to 4x5 at around 8000 dpi - great
big beautiful files :-), super dynamic range. leica had to get someone to
help them here, and if it is true, they couldn't get a much better partner
to help them. That deserves kudos alone in some ways.
    Ed