Subject: [Leica] Lets see it before we slam it!
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:43:13 -0400

Hi all!
    Why not wait a few days to see this digital back before it's pronounced
D.O.A.? Leica likes to put new items in the hands of a few BEFORE
production, right? I believe in some ways - this time around - they want to
re-affirm their commitment to continue development of the R system --
quickly -- and let us in on what is going on. The M7 was tested first in
secret, correct? That stated, who says that the specifications can't change
in a year's time, before it becomes consumer ready? What if they offer a few
different backs; High resolution and dynamic range, a special high speed
(ISO) back, or a very fast rapid fire back? Upgrades might be more of a
possibility. A heavy duty, ruggedized back may be possible.
    Lets hear 'em out - I am a dyed in the wool film guy, but I see the
digital freight train bearing down on me. I use it now when it is the better
choice and fits the job at hand. But I love the dynamic range of film,
having that slide in my file makes me feel secure. Books were supposed to go
extinct a while ago as well, no? Tablet PC's would replace them. Will they?
    I guess all I am saying is WAIT a bit - join the chat if you can - let's
SEE what they have first. The glass is half full, folks! I am no 'Candide' -
but I do see that it's prudent to wait before judgement, and that this might
show that film and digital really can co-exist more than one thinks!
    Ed (who for some reason, is optimistic at the moment ;-)

Replies: Reply from "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Lets see it before we slam it!)