Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:51:32 -0400

"I heard recently that the Twentieth Century will be 'the century of
film' because, give or take a few years, it will historically be shown
as the only century in which film was used to record things which are
then retained for the future. As such it will prove to be the century
for which we have the most complete record."

I realize it is vaguely comforting to many to think that the last century was so well
documented (and, consequently, it's alarming to imagine that the future may not be so
well recorded), for me, the question is:

What did we learn from all that historical material? Has it really made a difference?

We may not have the complete archives of Attila and his Huns (or substitute your
favourite ancient thug), complete with newsreel and still footage, but we exceeded
his brutality a thousand-fold in the last century and there's little evidence we
won't continue doing so in the future.

And a glimpse at Lascaux may convey as much about its times as the complete works of
HCB. "The medium is the message."

It the absence of any measurable effect, filmed history  may be mere narcissistic
entertainment. So I suggest we may have other worries than the switch to digital.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal