Subject: Re: [Leica] Latent images
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:31:38 -0700

on 06/21/03 5:00 PM, Martin Howard at mvhoward@mac.com wrote:

> My question has to do with *how* "the energy of the light changes the
> chemical structure of the silver nitrate or whatever it is".  Brain's
> links provided a starting point.

Well, then chemistry isn't going to help you. Better get a book on quantum
mechanics. And figure out how light could be waves and particles at the same
time, and how light hitting the silver nitrate particle transfers a piece of
itself into energy that excites the electrons in the silver nitrate in such
a way as to transform it chemically. Then you'll be on your way to
understanding it.

Of course, the best quantum physicists will tell you that if you think you
understand quantum mechanics, then you really don't. :-)

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the
country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag
the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a
parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.  That is easy.  All you
have to do is tell them  they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists
for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials