Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:26:57 -0700

on 06/21/03 4:57 PM, Jeff S at four_season_photo@yahoo.com wrote:

> A suggestion: Do not archive data in proprietary
> formats such as Word: RTF is a widely-supported open
> standard, and it'll retain most text formatting just
> fine.

Unfortunately RTF won't do it. My work is also in Quark, InDesign, and PDF.
Not to mention books. I've helped produce about 50 books in the past three
years. Well, PDF is pretty safe in the future, but it's not terribly useful
for repurposing text.

Photos and layout and graphics and charts are important too. Actually, it's
kind of fun to go back into the old document and see how hard it is to
import and reformat in a new program. (Am I crazy or what?)

Macs support standard CD formats. We don't need HFS+. I'm looking forward to
Apple's future file system. They hired the guy who did the file system in
BeOS, and that was some file system! Imagine your whole file system being
true database! Now that could be the future of photo archiving!

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

łAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.˛

- -Edmund Burke