Subject: [Leica] Noctilux and not so close focus...
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:28:51 -0400

I've been using a Noctilux for a while now, and am finding that the not so
close focus (1M is the closest focus) is prohibitive for a lot of the images
I like to take (close quarter candids...and I like to fill the frame).  I'm
surprised that it doesn't "stack up" to other fast 50mm lenses (1M vs < .5M
for the Canon 50/1.2 L series lense, or even .6M for the 50/1.4 Summilux).
Some people did mention this "issue"...and I had to experience it's
limitations first hand.  I think the 75 and the 50/1.4 more suit this type
of picture taking, and luckily I have them both.  I'll have to find another
use for the Noctilux ;-)

As an interesting note, the DOF for the Noctilux at 1M is .019M, and for the
50/1.4 at .6M is .009...so if you are able to move in closer and focus
closer with the 1.4, the Noctilux looses it's shallower DOF advantage.

Austin

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Noctilux and not so close focus...)