Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:59:22 -0700

on 06/22/03 4:28 PM, Jeff S at four_season_photo@yahoo.com wrote:

> Quark (and I believe InDesign) have a "Save As EPS..."
> capability which works pretty well. I think EPS is
> technically a proprietary file format, but it's pretty
> well-understood, and free Postscript interpreters such
> as GhostScript are available under the General Public
> License (GPL). I've had less success in reading PDF
> documents with non-Adobe software.

Actually, InDesign and Quark can write Postscript3 files (As does the latest
Acrobat 6 Professional. EPS is not an ideal format to save in. Plus, you
lost the formatting. My photos are just fine in TIF and so I'm not worried
about the rest, actually.

> I'm facing a minor proprietary file-format woe right
> now with my Kodak DCS200 DSLR: As far as I know, the

That's why it's smart for manufacturers to go with standards such as Compact
Flash cards. I won't buy a camera that does anything but CF cards. So that
ruled out the Leica Digilux 1. I bought a Canon G3 for my digital point and
shoot. I don't have much confidence Leica will catch on when they do their
digital pro camera. (IF they ever do one).

> I don't really understand the implications of such a
> feature, but I do know thatI've actually had this
> computer project nagging at me for some time now: I
> want to put more of my photos online but hate
> generating page after page of static HTML code which
> is 95% identical, so have thought to use an Apache web
> server, MySQL database and PHP (all free software, and
> it runs on OS X too) to serve up pages dynamically.
> And since no one's around to tell me that it might be
> boatloads of work, I saw no reason why I couldn't
> extend the idea to include more comprehensive photo
> management capabilities, accessible anywhere, to
> anyone with an internet connection and a web browser.
> If I ever get off my butt and do something about it,
> my software will also be free.

A file system that is a database is much more reliable and speeds up
searches. It makes a computer much more robust and organized. I can't
explain it as well as it deserves, though. But the file system in BeOS was
highly praised by the technical press.

Photoshop and Applescript could generate many photo pages for you
automatically. You just dump the photos in a folder and let Applescript run
Photoshop. It's pretty easy to figure out. But a dynamic server for photos
would be fun to get up and running too. Let me know how you get it
accomplished! Applescript is much easier to learn than javascript or Visual
Basic. And it really is becoming a powerful part of OSX.

This is pretty off topic, so I'll leave it at that.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"Have no fear of perfection; you'll never reach it."

                                    -Salvador Dali