Subject: Re: [Leica] HCB Did It All First
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:32:26 -0700

The other day I posted some comments on HCB that were meant to be tongue in
cheek and not as derogatory remarks as a few have taken:

Let me clarify:
> photojournalist of the world, I always referred to HCB as "The worlds
> greatest snap shooter!" There were some who  cringed and berated me,
> but what the hell ..."That's what he is whether any of you like it or
> not!" But damn he's good in capturing the "decisive moment" <<<<

OK so that sounds a lot tougher than what some of you have taken it to mean,
that I'm belittling the guy, which wasn't nor ever was intended from  the
time I began learning from his work 50 years ago. In reality he truly is
"the worlds greatest snap shooter........."  Why?

He was fast, reacted to life moments faster than damn near everyone here.
Yep he saw a situation, waited for the pieces to fall into place, milked it
for everything he could squeeze out of it... look at his contact sheets....
And it was..."click quickly!"

Like a captured "snap shot" of  a moment. And in this case describing him as
"The World's Greatest Snap Shooter" describes his quick re-action to any
given moment. That means his physical, mental, eye coordination were quite
remarkable.

Don't forget he snapped/shot a bunch before he was satisfied. But the one we
get to see was still an incredible captured moment that appeared it was the
one and only frame. Some yes, but many no, as it was part of concentrating
on the subject and composition factor for anything he could find to make the
perfect picture! Like I said look at his contact sheets!

Look how many of you do a 360 around the subject while "milking it for all
it's worth?" Sure you can't do that with every situation, but doing a walk
about allows you to see it from 360 degrees of light and composition change.
What maybe obvious right off can be and is improved by changing angle and
position IE: looking and watching for the decisive moment.

Maybe I should shut up or I'll be pissing off a bunch more!

But what everyone should understand, and that is, regardless whether I refer
to him as the world's greatest snap shooter or not, I'm a very big fan of
what he produced and I learned from his ability to see and put on film in
his decisive captured moments..
ted

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] HCB Did It All First)
Message from Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com> (Re: [Leica] HCB Did It All First)