Subject: [Leica] Re: Handled the MP
From: "James A. Arnold" <JArnold@knightridder.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:08:36 -0400

On the surface the biggest differences are the return to the M2/3
spindle rewind and the shutter speed dial going back to the classic
direction of the M2's, 3's and 4's.  As an owner of an M6 I
appreciate this. If I had a TTL I might feel differently. I'm
awaiting my .58 MP. For me the finder mag is the real reason I want
the camera.

Internally they supposedly made a lot of changes to the camera, such
are gearing, etc. The viewfinder now supposedly does not flare since
a new lens element is in place. You will be able to upgrade M6's and
7's to get this fix.

The camera goes back to the original height, discarding the 2.5
millimeters necessary on the top plate of the M6 for the TTL
electronics. You only notice the difference if you use an M6TTL or M7
alongside another M camera.

I've had two opportunities to test out the camera. I have to say the
compared to my M6 the fit and finish of the MP is better. I have an
old M2 that has seen a lot of use over the years. I doubt that the
canted rewind of the M4's and 6's would have survived the action this
M2 has seen. But I doubt if many Leica owners ever see that kind of
use. For the few extra seconds it will take to rewind the film I'm
happy to live with that for the long-term durability factor. The
rewind on the MP will not let loose of the film if you take your hand
off the spindle during rewind like it will on the M6.

There is a lot of gnashing of teeth over the MP. I'm surprised and
happy to see Leica make the MP. It's the ultimate purist's camera.
You don't have to buy one. Wait a few years and pick up one used. The
MP has caused the prices of used M6's to go down, a boon for people
looking to buy.

jim

www.jimarnold.org

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Handled the MP)