Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: Just went MF, need scanner advice
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:33:36 -0400

Hi Eric,

> Anyway - I have grown accustomed to the digital scan thing (been using a
> LS-4000 for a few years now) and find myself soon to be in need
> of a scanner
> capable of 6x6 negs.
>
> My off topic question: What MF scanners have LUG'ers been happy with? Has
> flatbed come of age to rival 2000-4000 DPI film scanners? Like to keep it
> under $1500 or so..

I use a Leafscan 45.  It's an older scanner, but gives equal to, if not
better, results than all but the top of the line Imacon.  It was the best
CCD scanner you could buy up until the latest crop of CCD scanners.  It can
scan 35mm at 5080, and 120/220 at 2540.  It'll scan anything up to 4x5 as it
can use standard Besler film holders.  You can typically get a mint one for
between $1500 and $2000.  The software, though old, is complete and gives
you everything you need to get exceptional scans.  The ONLY downside is it's
a three pass scanner for color, so it takes a while to scan color, but for
B&W, it scans using a single ND filter and is as fast as any modern scanner,
and IMO, gives superior B&W results.

Here is a picture from Menemsha that was taken with a Hasselblad and scanned
on the Leaf:

http://www.darkroom.com/Images/Mv03bCropw.jpg

and in Oak Blufs, again, Hasselblad (110/2):

http://www.darkroom.com/Images/LABOWL02w.jpg

And to keep this on topic, at 5080 for 35mm, it scans Leica negatives better
than anything ;-)

Regards,

Austin

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] OT: Just went MF, need scanner advice)