Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica R-Digital Back
From: Simon Lamb <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:16:19 +0100

This part of the announcement pack was interesting.  A Kodak spokesperson
stated:

łKodak selected this pixel structure and a special
sensor solution in order to satisfy the high demands of photo enthusiasts
regarding resolution, sensitivity and dynamic range˛

Let's hope they  didn't issue the same text when they developed the Kodak
14n which has some mediocre image quality in places.

Interesting to see what other manufacturers stick with 10MP sensors in 18
months time.  I suspect we will all be expecting/using 20+ MP by then.  Then
again, Leica has never exactly been at the forefront of camera technology.
Great design and build and superlative lenses, but lens imaging excellence
and camera technology are separate things.

That said, if this has the quality we will expect, then 10MP may satisfy a
great many people.  Certainly Imacon and Kodak know how to get the best from
each other from their work on the Flextight scanners, albeit a scanner
sensor is different to a camera sensor.

Simon