Subject: Re: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:59:29 EDT

In a message dated 6/25/03 9:08:49 AM, mvhoward@mac.com writes:

<< The only possibly interesting thing about this is the technical
achievement of grafting a digital back to an existing film camera,
while allowing its use as either by switching back and forth.  But in
the Real World, the question is how interesting is that?  Especially
when you take those $5,200 into consideration. >>

Oh come on.   In the real world using a Leica anything is a joke.  People
think you're crazy to spend a thousand dollars for a 50mm lens, a couple thousand
for something slightly more exotic.   If you like Leica glass and think it is
worth it for the money, you ignore the naysayers.  If you don't think the
Leica glass is worth the money you go for a Holga ,  drive a Ford Fiesta, sip
ripple and wear Prada knockoffs sold at Wallmart.   Yeah, $5,200 is a lot of
money. So were the original digital offerings that came out from Canon, Nikon and
the other gods of the digital world.  I imagine that as time goes on and
technology moves forward prices will go down, 10MP goes up.   For those of us who
like film and traditional cameras, I like this approach.  At some point in
time, if I want the immediacy of digital, I have that opportunity using it on a
system I already know and use for traditional film.

I give Leica a thumbs up on this one.   And expect that it will expand in the
future.

- -kim

Replies: Reply from Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com> (Re: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced)