Subject: Re: [Leica] Film is Archival
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:32:25 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/03 5:48:38 PM, eric@jphotog.com writes:

<< Just look how that worthless little floppy disk still seems to be appearing
on PCs. (Macs dumped them in '99, but you can buy a drive for $65). Kind of
like our appendix. Not terribly useful, but still available.

- --
Eric
Carlsbad, CA >>

Yeah, unless you happen to have and old 400k disk that can't be read on a
super drive.  Or an old tape that can't be read on your modern machine.

I'm not doubting that for a certain amount of money and a great deal of
consternation that I can't eventually get my data read, but part of the promise of
the digital age is that is was cheaper and faster.   How fast is it to be
backing up files and upgrading all your junk every time a new "standard" arrives.
And when are you sure that the new standard is really a standard and not just
an 8 track tape?

All of this is fine for the geeks on the list, but not every average joe
likes to spend their spare time horsing around on the computer or spending money
to keep up with all the new tech.  And try and do what you're doing on old
tech.  My folks have a MacPLus that isn't any older than my Leica.  One is still
very functional, the other isn't.  To me that's one of the big problems with
digital everything.  You become a prisoner to it.

- -kim