Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] R8/R9 Digital Back announced
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:35:54 -0700 (PDT)

> $5,200??  Come on.  Pull the other one too.

Martin, I suspect the R digital back would make more sense to someone with 20 R lenses than to you.  Assuming someone wants to keep using the full-aperture metering and auto-aperture features of his lenses (I would), the (rumored) cost of the R digial back pales in comparison to the cost of replacing several R lenses with comparable Canon L glass.  Also, the R8/R9 viewfinder is superb.  Has anyone compared it to the viewfinders of the other DSLR cameras?  I'd hate to give up a decent viewfinder to use a DSLR.

I'm not gung-ho on the R digital back 'cuz nobody has been able to test it or compare its output with the competition, but there are more things to consider than initial cost of a single component of a camera system, and the right decision for one person ain't nessesarily the right decision for the next.  That's why we have both M and R, no?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com