Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital Back - I like the first step!
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:31:16 -0400

Rolfe,
It means one of a couple of things.  One, Nikon is feeling the heat of
the 1Ds and needed to get into the more pixel race to keep users or
avoid losing face.

It could also mean that Nikon has a GF like image interpolator that lets
them create images that appear to be from a 10MP camera.

Possibly we are in a transition era just like in the late 30's where
Rollie's were capable of quality near enough to 4X5 that medium format
started to take images away from large format, and in the fifties and
sixties where 35mm (Leica, Contax, Nikon) offered quality good enough
that the majority of shooters switched to 35mm.  Well, now, I am
proposing that somewhere in the 6-14 MP range the quality is good enough
that most images for the next little while will be taken with sensors in
that rough range.

I don't really see the point of a 20 MP sensor for use up to 20X30.  The
images I have seen coming out of the 11 MP 1Ds easily make that cut for
most users.

Others will chime in, but computers are not going to get much faster in
the near term.  Making motherboards clock faster than 800 MH is a real
issue as those speeds create a lot of RF that is really difficult to
handle.  And really, what is the point of a 4 GH chip if the motherboard
is only running at 800 MH?  Are we all really going to be using
multiprocessor computers: I don't think that will be mainstream practice
for some time.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com