Subject: Re: [Leica] Mark R.'s perceptive questions and the 90mm lens.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:41:13 -0700

Doug Doyle wrote:

> Perceptive Comments Mark.  The 50cron  is already  practically glued on
> to my 0.85 M6TTL.  I love using it, but sometimes I don't feel like
> ramming my camera in someone's face.  I am one of those benighted
> luddites that processes and prints black and white film.  In fact, in
> the three months I have owned the camera, I haven't put a roll of
> colour through it.  I know, I know, how backwards of me, but what the
> hell.
>
> The 90 would primarily be a portrait lens, but I also want the
> compression that the 90 offers.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Doug

I'm 99.99% black and white. But there is a tinge of color on the tip of
my tail. It change color with my mood. I stay away from Poker. It also wags.

I love darkroom work for decades but desktop printing is fun and looks
great too.
It makes you do more color i think. Photoshop is a bit more fun with
colors then it is without, More information. Yea that's my excuse. I
keep it subtle. De saturated.

Using a digital camera will make me do more color which is putting it mildly
>From what I heard form my friends it's not so much you'll use your
Leica's less;
its that you'll put up all your Hasselblads for auction.
Gotta have more memory! Would that be it?
If that happens to me would somebody please take me out an shoot me!?

So know I'm not a complete Luddite I highly respect them that are.
After all I'm tying into this thing and it's not a Remington typewriter.
I prefer a more simple mechanical machine but electronics and Cpu's,
micromotors are OK sometimes too.

The way i see it; from a purely technical point of few; as i was very
figurative on that last point:
It's just a matter of degree.

A 50mm lens gives you a horizontal angle of view of 40 degrees.

21mm	81 degrees
24mm	74 degrees
28mm	65 degrees
35mm	54 degrees
50mm	40 degrees.
90mm	23 degrees
135mm	15 degrees  They average 11 degrees of separation (between each
other). By the way the 75 is only 4 degrees away from a 90!
The angles vary between 7 and 17 degrees, The later being the gap
between a 50 and a 90!

To be honest for me on my white backdrop the  90, or 85 or 105 is the
best comfortable all around lens. Great for full lengths and half length
shots. Head shots give me a 135 or even longer.
I got a cheep 135 Hektor at first. So when i got my 90 the frame liens
were luxuriously large. Still find the 135 framelines a joy to use. If
they make a 180 I'd get one with a .85 viewer and 1.25X screw in thing
at the back.

But as I equip my new D100 with lenses i just might get the 180. It's a
famously great lens selling for chump change from what I've gotten used
to in Leica land! That's an 11.42 HAOV.  Horizontal angle of view.
But i might kill two birds with one stone and get instead the 200mm f/4D
ED-IF AF Micro-Nikkor. Micro means macro.
It's 10.25 HAOV. That's only 1/17 lens of an angle. 1/17 is my birthday!
As it's a macro it's getting what's real close. Not a Rangefinder
specialty so I'm not competing with myself.
And since it's a 200 it's a heck of a lot longer than anything I'm prone
to put on my M6 lately.
So it gets what's far away too. Cant beat that!
ED-IF means "Ed! IF you would only grind us a nice lens!" I assume "Ed"
is the one who grinds the lenses.
Or it means low dispersion glass (one step up from Fluorite!*)
IF means internal focusing.
Both not new to Leica glass which i'm sure knocks it cold and may cost
almost the same used.
AF means "Arthur Feinstien" who also apparently helps grind the lenses.
I've got mixed feelings about AutoFocus. After all. I already am autofocus,
Or lets put it this way. I pick up the camera look though the lens and
it's in focus. I didn't focus it!

*
"Crest has been shown to be an effective decay-preventive dentifrice
that can be of significant value when used as directed in a
conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional care."
Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com