Subject: [Leica] OT: Bob Shell news
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:49:54 -0400

At 02:23 PM 6/27/03 -0400, Mark Langer wrote:
>This is a distressing subject (particularly to the soon-to-be former Mrs.
Shell), so I am not trying to start a flame war or get out of line in any
way.  I am very conscious that we are dealing with a real human tragedy.
At least one other photography newsgroup has suppressed all discussion of
this topic.  Perhaps I am out of line in encouraging Bob Shell's defence
counsel to discuss his case in a public forum.  If so, I apologize, and
will understand if prudence forbids Marc James Small from discussing this
further.
============================

Mark

There really isn't a lot to discuss.  Allow me to point out that the
Supreme Court decision yesterday will have little impact on this case, as
the Commonwealth is proceeding on a theory that Bob deliberately doped his
model in order to have sex with her and that he finally overdosed her.
That much is public record.

However, there are a number of cards up my sleeve which I am not willing to
disclose at this time.  I believe that I can beat these charges and I do
believe that Bob is innocent of everything other than falling in love with
a 19-year-old girl.  The Prosecutor is a solid citizen and will present his
case without flare or fraud, so it will eventually be just an honest trial
before a jury of Bob's Radford peers.  I suspect that Bob's character
witnesses will be excessively long and will include folks from all over the
world, as well as the rest of his regular models.

I will be making announcements from time to time on this List and on the
Rollei List.  Those interested in this case are free to e-mail me and I
will add you to a focus group as it develops.

Oh!  There WILL be a Bob Shell Defense Fund run by Bob's brother, Jim;
details will follow next week.  Please give generously:  my fee may be paid
from this!  So far, I have been doing this pro bono in recognition of my
long friendship with Bob and the many favors he has done for me over the
past 15 years or so.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!