Subject: [Leica] RE: lighter fluid solution and IIIc
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:05:41 -0700

Chandos:  When I had an old lens that focused very stiffly, Sherry Krauter
suggested a couple of drops of acetone worked into the helicoid.  At my
local Walgreen's, I got a bottle of the nearly pure stuff--NOT the cosmetic
nail polish removers that contain oils, Vitamins and Precious Emollients,
whatever they are.

It worked, though it took several applications and a few evenings of
periodically running the helicoid in and out for a few minutes.

Whether either acetone or lighter fluid (Xylene/Xlol) it would work with
modern lubricants, who knows?  Also, you don't know whether you might end
up with lubricant running into the lens or with vapor that would eventually
deposit fog on the elements.

The CV 28/1.9 is new enough and probably complex enough that perhaps it
would be better to let a pro handle it.  I suggest contacting Stephen Gandy
of Cameraquest.com--I believe he works with a repairman who truly knows the
CV products.

BTW, I agree with *both* you and Nathan about the screw-mount Leicas.  I
used a IIIf as my only camera for about 18 years.  I sold it when I needed
to help finance a modern ASPH lens.  I have a few sentimental regrets, but
the Ms are much easier and faster for quick shooting.

This is not to say that one can't do well with a screw-mount Leica, and
they may actually focus fast 85 and 90mm lenses more accurately.  And when
used with a 50mm lens, as designed, they are actually quite viable
picture-taking machines.  It's when you start dealing with multiple lenses,
viewfinders and all the other paraphenalia, that things begin to get really
clumsy.  And as others have said, you can't use M lenses on a screw-mount.

For a beginner, I'd recommend a used M, and a 35 or 50 Summicron.  Or a
Bessa M and a 50 screwmount Summicron, a 50 Nokton or 35 Ultron if the
price of Leica entry is too steep.  I'd only go with the LTM camera if you
can borrow one, use it for a couple of rolls of film and still feel that it
fits you and what you want to do photographically.

- --Peter