Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica IIIc - First RF?
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:23:45 +0900

>I'd like to ask if it would be worthwhile getting a Leica IIIc, as a
>user, as a step towards one of the M's later on. I was also considering
>a Bessa R, but the noise from it kind of puts me off. What do I have to
>look out for when getting a IIIc from say, eBay, and also, would anyone
>have any suggestions or comments to add about my choice (say in terms of
>ease-of-use, ergonomics, etc.)?

Justin -

Have you handled a IIIc? The fact that the viewfinder is separate
from the rangefinder does cause newbies issues. As well as the
viewfinder only frames 50mm lenses.

You might be better off getting a Canon P or Canon 7. These can be
bought for about the same price as a used IIIc, and are infinitely
more usable as carry-along cameras.  Also, if you search hard and
wide, you might be able to find a beat up M3 for < $500. Another
option would be Soviet rangefinders.

More info on my web site.

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras

Karen Nakamura