Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital has WON? Not by a longshot .. .. yet
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:43:05 EDT

In a message dated 6/30/03 12:14:34 PM, Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov writes:

<< If I were a professional photographer, like you, I would have gone digital
long
ago. I always wanted a really nice Hasselblad. ( I have several really nice
Leicas.) I found a used, mint 203 FE at a price it was really hard to refuse.
got it because someone needed funds to buy digital equipment. All this talk
about the victory of digital, and there is no doubt in my mind that it is
changing photography in some very fundamental ways, makes me feel insecure,
and
has me wondering if I did the right thing. >>

One of the great things about the digital boom is that traditional camera
gear that for relatively poor hobbyists like me is now accessible.  I used to
work doing computer support (Ma'am, have you plugged in the computer to the
monitor and your surge protector?  Well doing so might help you see the
screen....).  So at the end of a 40 hour week, the LASTthing I wanted to do was to spend
more time staring at a computer screen.  Even now, to the extent that I scan
photos and in some cases do minor cropping/dust removal) that's about as much
sitting on my rear basking in the flickering refresh glow of my Sony monitor
that I can stand.

One thing I HATE about the digital boom is the marketing of it.  Yeah, there
are advantages to digital.  There are some advantages to film.  But this whole
marketing bandwagon thing ("Digital is here and you are a loser if you use
film") annoys the hell out of me.  It's like Pepsi and Coke a Cola banded
together to convince the world that water was no longer a viable liquid for your
body and only Pepsi and Coke were.   Personally, I don't care if folks want to
use digital or drink Cokes, I get frustrated when digital becomes the ONLY
option and film is written off as "obsolete." And quite frankly I don't care what
other folks think of my choice to use film, it's that when herds of people
shuffle to the digital side, the next shoe to fall are the bean counters looking
to discontinue traditional film offerings in order to streamline production
costs, etc.

The good news is that I still see people using odd sizes of film in cameras
from eras long ago, there are still folks doing bromoil and platinum/palladium
images, polaroid transfers and the like.  I suspect that in 10 years or so,
lots of current film materials will have to be purchased like how I purchase my
alternative process supplies, from places like Bostick and Sullivan rather
than my local drugstore.  But as long as I can still buy it, I'll be realatively
happy.

- -kim