Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003
From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@streetphoto.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:59:36 -0400

Steve LeHuray wrote:

>>....I hate to say this because it seems to be terrible what happened to
>>George, but anybody dumb enough to take a picture of kids that they do
>>not know, is out of touch with our world today.

George Lottermoser replies:

> While I understand why you say this; to simply stop doing good work and
> meekly accept the complete crushing of personal freedoms, which is going
> on, feels terribly dangerous.

 Then George takes his shot at me:

> Next week, we¹ll hear, ³anybody dumb enough
> to take a picture on the street, is out of touch with our world today.²

This may surprise you George, but I photograph on a weekly basis in the most
heavily guarded 10 sq mile area in the world, Washington, DC and I have NO
problems with the police or any kind of security. BUT, the very last thing
that I would do is take pictures of some kid that I do not know, because I
know that is just a DUMB thing to do.

> It seems to me that we need to speak out, show wonderful photographs of
> children playing freely in order to turn these dark days around.

Boy 'O boy, are you out of touch and uninformed. Think pedophiles, child
pornography, child kidnapping, child slavery, etc, etc. Think scared
PARENTS.

Best regards,

sl

Replies: Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003)