Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:00:17 -0700

Be realistic, Steve.  The chances that someone will take photos of your
child at the local city park and that they will be used as porn, or that
they will result in a kidnapping are extremely remote.  It is certainly
tragic when it happens, but the reality is that your child is far more
likely to slip in the bathroom and die of a severe concussion, or be killed
in the back seat of your minivan on the way to WalMart.

We used to live in Honolulu, and tourists from all over the world
(especially the Japanese) would snap photos of us often.  We always smiled
and played along with good humor.

I'm tired of the way the news media and our government continually wind us
up with fear.  Fear that your teeth aren't white, fear that your SUV will
flip over, fear that your children will be abducted, fear of terrorism.  I'm
not saying we should be blind to these things, but we should keep them in
rational perspective.

About 6 years ago, I was photographing on a street corner here in Seattle.
All of a sudden, this woman comes running across the street yelling at the
top of her lungs.  "Who do you think you are!?  What gives you the right to
photograph Native Americans without permission!?..."  Turns out her
grandfather was in the crowd of people waiting to cross the street.  Good
grief.

People need to relax.  It's just a photograph for goodness' sake.

- --Jim