Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary Photography 2003
From: frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:55:15 -0400

Yeah, well that's the problem with those freaking profiles, isn't it?  (sorry,
but those things really bug the hell out of me)

Problem is, all they really do is scare the crap out of people, because they end
up thinking that "every guy in his mid-30's with a camera" is a child molester -
which obviously isn't true.  The flip side is that ~not every child molester~
fits that general description.

Now, law enforcement officials may have a better perspective on these things
than the general public (but judging by the post that began this thread, one
wonders), however Joe Blow, who reads this stuff in the paper may not understand
that such profiles are generalizations, and not intended to make people point
fingers.

All of that being said, we just had a horrendous crime happen here in Toronto,
where a little girl was abducted and murdered within blocks of her house, at
about 6:30 at night (while it was still light out).  They just arrested someone
a week or two ago.  Turns out he was in his mid-30's, had a real weird
relationship with his mother, had no father figure, had trouble maintaining
mature relationships with women...  Need I go on?  Mind you, I didn't hear
anything about cameras.  He was a computer geek, though.

regards,
frank