Subject: Re: [Leica] Minolta Dual Scan III scanning times
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <jgp@gilplant.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:11:36 -0400

Multi-sampling should have no effect on dust and scratches. If you look
VERY closely at high magnification, you will see some artifacts in the
highlights of the 1x image that are not present in the 8x image, but
not anything you would notice in even the largest print, at least with
this image. The usefulness of multi-sampling is in the reduction of
noise in the shadows when scanning REVERSAL film. In other words,
multi-sampling reduces noise in the densest part of the film. Don't
waste your time when you're working with black & white negatives.

Gilbert