Subject: [Leica] Fuji Frontier 4R prints lose detail that is in the negatives?
From: Martin Krieger <krieger@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 06:28:38 -0700

I would expect that a 4x print in a reasonable enlarger would retain all the
detail visible in the negative with a 10x magnifier and make that detail
easier to see. Yet when I examine 4x prints made in a Fuji Frontier digital
system, I seem to be losing detail. I gather that the Frontier digitizes the
negative and then prints with a laser onto ordinary photographic paper. I
imagine that the scan is insufficiently fine to pick up all the detail in
the negative, just enough so that when the print is examined with the bare
eye it appears as sharp as one might hope. (Perhaps also, electronic
manipulation, say sharpening, loses some detail?) Hence the 4R print,
examined with a loupe, is inadequate.

If I understand all of this correctly, optical enlargement with a decent
enlarger, is "inefficient." Lots more detail is retained in the print than
can be seen with the naked eye. Digital scanning and enlargement can be more
"efficient," putting down just enough detail so that the image feels sharp
and complete with the naked eye. This is not necessary, in that a digital
system could have all the detail available in the negative, and print it out
(at say a real 1000dpi).

Am I right in my understanding?

MK

Replies: Reply from tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net> (Re: [Leica] Fuji Frontier 4R prints lose detail that is in the negatives?)