Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Epson 3000 or 2200 - Now Inkjetmall.com and bwguys.com
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 14:50:59 -0700

On 7/5/03 Phong  wrote:

>On the other hand, much of the reputation (and industry test
>results) was based on the Sundance formula, now sold thru
>bwguys.com.
>
>I am looking to buy an Epson 3000 myself, and am quite confused
>by the situation.  If you were to get into Piezography now,
>which of the 2 companies would you go with, and why ?
>Anybody wants to shed anylight on this ?

Well I have to agree with you about the design/implimentation of the web sites.
They are prime examples of how to obscure rather than inform. If they aren't
winners of the worst-designed-website they will be soon.

I have a continuous inking system for my Epson 1280. Over the past year I have
become less and less pleased with it: it began to develop a greenish cast to the
printing and then the system's ability to give full-range results began to get
worse and worse: the Sundance inks were going bad.

So I have had to invest in a new set of inks and a new print head for my Epson.
Now I have to clean and flush the tubing and re-load the inks. It was expensive.

However...when it was printing well the results were super....better than the
2200's images that sits beside it (in black and white of course). I find the
2200 has a distinct color-cast associated with it that I dislike.

Also, the Piezography system uses drivers for the printer from photoshop (using
the Export dialog) that are not compatible with OS X - so I have to run
Photoshop 6 in classic to print. I don't like doing that so I'd like to try this
new/improved (hahaha) method that uses paper/printer profiles to do the same
thing. You may recall I asked about that on this list a week or so ago. I gather
that they are STILL in beta after promising to have a release in the April/May
time frame. I'm not holding my breath.

So, I'm confused also, I have hardware, I have to deal with the screwed-up inks
that they originally sold and replaced at my own expense (oh, wait, they every
so nicely gave me a 10% discount).

When it last worked properly, however, the results were fantastic.

Adam

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: Epson 3000 or 2200 - Now Inkjetmall.com and bwguys.com)