Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Piezotone & bwguys
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 23:33:20 -0400

At 04:12 PM 7/6/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>All:
>
>Ben marks wrote:
>
>>Note that Epson's inks are (as I beleive Tina mentioned) dye-based rather
>>than pigment based.
>
>It should be clarified that one of the pros and cons of the Epson 2200
>(which I own) is that its inks ARE pigment-based, not dyes. Epson
>manufactures both types depending on which model of printer, but everyone
>should be aware that the 2200 uses pigment-based inks. The pro is the
>archival nature of the 2200's output; the con is a "bronzing" effect,
>especially on glossy papers.
>
>Kip Peterson
>San Diego

Kip is right. The 2200 is the first Epson 7-color ink printer to use
pigment rather than dye-based inks.  The previous Epsons have all used
dye-based inks which fade quickly.  The 2200 still has considerable
problems with metamerism.  The inks look different colors under different
light sources.   That has never been a problem with the Piezography
quad-black inks, but of course you are dealing with shades of gray.  And
the Epson chip-managed inks for the 2200 cost in excess of $8,000 per
gallon. The Piezography inks are carbon-based and very archival and come in
huge, economical cartridges for the 3000 or pints for the continuous ink
systems.  I used the regular Piezography quad-black inks, now Sundance
inks, until Cone came out with the Piezotone inks.  Now I'm using the Sepia
Piezotone inks with the Piezography software.  I have had no problems with
clogs or banding in either of my 3000's.   For color, I use the Generation
Enhanced pigment inks which have no problem with metamerism but are not
quite as archival as the quad-black carbon inks.  The Epson pigment inks
are rated at about 30 years, which is better than most commercial
inks.  None of the pigment inks work well on glossy paper, but they are
beautiful on matte and watercolor type papers.  It's not better or worse
than darkroom prints but different and beautiful in its own way.  You just
have to see it to believe it.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com