Subject: Re: [Leica] New Holy War--Film Scanners
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 21:09:48 -0400

At 08:35 PM 7/3/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>on 07/03/03 7:45 PM, Nelson Chan at cchan@info.com.ph wrote:
>
> > I understand that the 3000 is an older model and use 4 ink jet while
> > the 2200 is the newer one with 7 ink jet.  Which should I choose?  Lastly,
> > what additional software can you guys recommend?

If you are printing black and white only and are concerned with archival
qualities, get the Epson 3000 and use quad-black archival inks on archival
paper.  They will outlast any darkroom silver print.  The Epson 3000 takes
large ink cartridges which are much more economical than the small 2200
cartridges.  Epson makes most of its money from inks.  The Epson 2200 uses
inks which have dyes rather than pigment.  They have definite issues with
metarism - which means the colors look different under different
lights.  They also fade faster than pigment inks.  Epson inks cost over
$8,000 a gallon.  The quad-black and Generation Enhanced inks are available
in either large cartridges for the 3000 or continuous ink systems for the
other printers.  The savings in ink alone will more than pay for several
printers.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com