Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Piezotone & bwguys
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:59:04 +1000

On Monday, Jul 7, 2003, at 14:23 Australia/Melbourne, Dante Stella
wrote:

> Alistair:
>
> The Durst AC system was the last step before the minilab; they have
> integrated closed-loop color analyzers/densitometer systems.  You
> basically plug in your negative, set the computer for the focal length
> and set aperture, and the thing sets the base exposure and
> autocompensates as you raise or lower the head.  For b/w work, it's a
> little switch in units from seconds to density units, but you get used
> to it.  Exposure times are very short with a 250 watt halogen lamp.
> It has a plug-in for a roll easel, but I figured that I could stop
> with the paper.  It's a dream for TMY, VP, PX and other straightline
> films, since the density setting is only really setting where the
> midpoint of on-paper reproduction is.
>
> I don't print much 35mm anymore, just 6x4.5 and up.  35mm is great for
> color and something that is great to take to a frontier lab.  35mm
> just lacks the tonality and detail in b/w and spotting is a bigger,
> more annoying issue (as it is in scanning 35mm).  I do print neopan
> 1600 in B/W, since it looks better enlarged than scanned.
>
> Split-grade?  Burning and dodging?
>
> Dante

the Split grade is an analyser, which looks at the negative, relates it
to the database of films and papers and sets exposure time and grade:
Makes a "perfect" print first time every time ;-) Well it shows you all
the tonality available, and you work from there: It has meant no more
test strips, or at least greatly reduced numbers, and an increase in
speed. With the V35 it is a dream (it has its own head and filters),
but with the Devere 504 and Ilford MG 500 head, its no quite "tuned"
yet.

I have a lot to learn in the darkroom. I was told to avoid the
integrated closed loop systems because of complexity and repairs, so
I've gone with manual enlargers and mini-computer analysers.

Cheers
Alastair