Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Ireland suggestions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:42:32 -0400

At 09:10 PM 7/8/03 -0600, Tim Atherton wrote:
> But heaven forbid that other
>parts of the world would fail to follow and comprehend US custom... :-)

Tim

It isn't so much that as that when I patiently explained that "rare" meant
to slap a chunk off meat off the cow while it ran through the kitchen and
that the result should be bloody and red on the inside, I still got
medium-well to well-done meat, much toughter than the quality of the meat
should have permitted.  (Excessive cooking toughens meat.)  I recognize
that USians can be silly in their demands that "these furriners" do
everything their way -- but, for God's sake, I even explained it in the
Gaelic at one locale.  I THOUGHT I had obtained perfect comprehension,
until I got the same tired and over-cooked meat I had gotten previously.

What is really odd is that seafood does not take well to over-cooking and
all of the seafood I ate in Scotland and the UK was perfectly cooked and
could not have been improved upon -- it was magnificent, especially those
Irish mussels, a dish I do not normally choose to eat, while the salmon was
nonpareil.

But the beef?  Grey, dead, and over-cooked.

I'll try Jerry's suggestion, the next time I'm in your corner of the world.
 There HAS to be a means of convincing a British Isles cook not to destroy
the flavor of that "hearty Beef of Olde England".

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from "firkin" <firkin@balhpl01.ncable.net.au> ([Leica] Re: Ireland suggestions)