Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Ireland suggestions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:06:38 -0400

At 11:08 PM 7/8/03 -0600, Tim Atherton wrote:

>Probably they do, but they may well not call it that - so why we should
>expect specific terminology - or in this case, more of a colloquialism, from
>one country to be used and understood in another is beyond me? Which was my
>point. If you drive your car into a Garage in Britain or Ireland (gas
>station) and asked for it to be filled up with gas, would you be surprised
>when they filled you tank with propane...? When in Rome.

Tim

You really are missing the point.  If the waiter didn't underrstand, "still
bloody and red and cool inside", perhaps he ought to have asked for further
clarification, I would think.  I am an ebullient person.  I do not simply
order stoically and place the burden for comprehension on the hearer.  In
one case, I discussed "rare" in the Gaelic with the server, and he claimed
perfect comprehension in both English and the Auld Tongue.  I suspect the
problem is cooks who simply do not understand what properly cooked beef
ought to taste like.  Oddly, fish -- generally overcooked in the US -- was
quite perfectly done in Ireland.

We did meet a Dutch couple just north of the Bridge at Mull who had a
vehicle convertible from "gas" (propane) to "gas" (petrol), and I had a
most interesting discussion with the fellow about the propane supply.  He
could choose whether to pull into an appliance place and get propane or
into a service station and get petrol.

Marc

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315