Subject: Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:01:16 -0500

As I remember it the Leicaflex SL was more like the Nikon F.  Very solid
and very quite.  The Canon F1 when fired off sounded like a beat up old car
shaking apart - lots of mirror bounce sounds.  Don't have the F anymore but
still have the SL (works just as good today as back then).

Gene

                      Joseph Yao <joseph@yao.com>
                      Sent by:                            To:       Leica User Group <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        cc:
                      -alto.ca.us                         Subject:  Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons

                      07/09/2003 11:40 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

on 9/7/03 8:19 pm, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabinergroup.com wrote:

> Nikons are very Leicalike.

Hmmm..... I beg to differ.  Optically I think Canon are more Leica-like,
especially the FD lenses.  For example the FD 50/1.4 S.S.C. was very close
to the Summilux 50/1.4 in terms of their optical character.

Come to think of it, thirty years ago I got into Canon FD because their
lenses gave the same look as Leitz lenses.  I took up photography with a
Leica IIIc + Summitar 50/2.0.

With camera bodies, I would say the original Canon F1 was similar to the
Leicaflex SL.  They handled and felt similarly in my hands.  Both were
built
like tanks.

Historically, early Canon LTM bodies were modelled on the Barnack LTM
cameras, and Nikon RF bodies were based on Zeiss Ikon Contax bodies.

Thirty years on I find myself still using Leica and Canon: M and EOS.

Bests,

Joseph