Subject: [Leica] Some hard-boiled research.
From: "Chandos Michael Brown" <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:52:53 -0400

I indulge in amateur culinary history so this business about
"hard-boiled" interested me.

Now that I'm in the office, I pulled vol. VI of the Oxford English
Dictionary off the shelf and note that it finds the first use of "hard
boiled" as an adjective to describe the degree of doneness of an egg in
J. Nott's -Cooks & Confectioners Dictionary-, published in 1723, with
many following citations of English culinary texts.

To my surprise, Mark Twain appears to have been the first to employ the
phrase as a verb, in 1895, where doubtless D.H. Lawrence encountered it,
for he uses it thusly in 1930.

I am perfectly well aware of the deficiencies of the OED in regard to
etymologies and first usages (in fact, a footnote in one of my published
articles corrects its identification of the first use of "cosmopolitan"
in English.

I suggest that this is an "Atlantic-English" usage, with regional
variations throughout the US.

There is no entry in the OED for "hard cooked."

Chandos

Chandos Michael Brown
History and American Studies
College of William and Mary