Subject: [Leica] OT Epson 950 (and 2100/2200?) printing B&W
From: "Steve Unsworth" <mail@steveunsworth.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:10:01 +0100

A few days ago I was asking about a grey card as I wanted to try the Epson
grey balancer software to correct a colour cast when printing with my Epson
950. Well, the grey card arrived today from Jessops (UK retailer) and I set
up the software to correct Epson photo paper.

All I can say is that it works! Where as before I had B&W prints with a
sepia tint in the mid-tones, I now have B&W prints with a err black and grey
tint.

The grey balancer software prints a grey scale during set-up and it was
obvious from the uncorrected print that my particular printer had a colour
cast between 25% and 75% grey.

Once calibrated, the software sits in the background performing the
adjustments automatically. The only change I have to make when printing B&W
is to make sure that the colour management in Photoshop is set to 'Printer
colour management' - for colour I generally use the paper's ICC profile with
'no colour management' - with 'no colour management' the grey balancer seems
to be ignored.

Anyone using a 950 or 2100/2200 printer who prints B&W really should try
this software.

You can find details at...
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/making-beer.shtml

Scroll towards the bottom for details of where to find the English language
version of the software (Epson's Russian site).

There's also a tutorial on how to use the grey balancer at...
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/talkshop/gb-tutorial.htm

Steve