Subject: Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:14:10 -0700

on 07/12/03 5:42 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabinergroup.com wrote:

> And Eric I'm not all that convinced that AF is useless for macro.
> Say you're walking down the sidewalk with your 100 or 105 in hand
> swinging next to you and you see a bug. You reach down and without
> breaking stride you get that little bugger. (In sunlight).
> Without AF you'd have to get your face in there and you wouldn't even
> bother doing it.
> Depending on the bug.
>
> Or with your 200.

I had to track down and shoot a butterfly for a story one day at the paper
back in St. Joseph, MO. I got the little bugger with my 70-180 2.8 Apo
Telyt. But I had to blow it up some. :-)

You're right, when not shooting at 1/2 life size (or 5X life size with the
Canon Macro I use at work) AF just gets in the way. But Macro lenses are
good for lots more than near maximum magnification. I guess shooting
diamonds and rubies and sapphires has made me biased as to the uselessness
of Macro AF. All it ever does for me is slow me down. :-)

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

³In the councils of government, we must guard against
the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or
unsought, by the military- industrial complex.²

- -President Dwight D. Eisenhower Farewell Address

Replies: Reply from "Jon" <jon.stanton@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons)