Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions requested: Latest and greatest in scanners and related software
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:19:57 -0700

on 07/13/03 9:18 AM, Andrew Schroter at schroter@optonline.net wrote:

> My thinking at this point is Nikon Coolscan 4000, Vuescan software, Adope
> Photoshop, and Epson 2200.

You're thinking good there. Nikon's scanner is the best in its range.
Especially if you use a Mac and OS X. The OS X driver is much faster than
the OS 9 driver. And it has firewire, which is handy for getting rid of
SCSI. USB2 might be good, but it's not as good as Firewire.

I have never met a Microtek scanner than I though was worth a diddly. So I
won't be much help on that. For the price, Nikon, IMO, is the best deal
going.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"Punctuality is the virtue of the bored." Evelyn Waugh