Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG newbie going to scotland with M6TTL - is it really *that* cloudy?
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:19:54 -0400

rich wrote:
> Hello LUG,
> First time poster - long time reader.
>
> I am a recovering semi-professional photographer who recently decided to
> start selling off his extra nikon and studio gear because, well, they rarely
> get used anymore. after seemingly 100 years of research, I purchased a
> like-new M6TTL and the 35/f2 lens and love it.
> (bought it at Tamarkin)
>
> We are heading off to Scotland in two weeks for some sight-seeing and a
> wedding. I am happily toting one small bag for my M6 and the necessary extra
> film and batteries and distillery souvenirs.
> I would love to just bring one film stock with me, which would normally be a
> 100 or 160 film, but people are saying that Scotland will be rainier and
> cloudier than I imagine and I might as well bring a 400asa film and/or a
> tripod (don't really want to bring a tripod).
>
> any ideas regarding film?
> so far I am thinking about:
>
> ~ "regular" kodak 200
> ~ the kodak portrait film.. the 160 that comes in different grades of
> contrast
> ~ Reala 100 (what I normally shoot)
> ~ one of the pro-grade 400asa films from either kodak or fuji
>

> any other suggestions regarding film or, well, even general weather
> conditions in Scotland?

Fuji NPH, finer grained than most ISO 100 films and exceptionally
neutral in all lighting conditions.

I hear nice things about Kodak Portra 400 UC for punchier color,
although I haven't yet tried it myself.

I'd forget the 100 ISO stuff and the tripod entirely. If you opt for
more than one emulsion, I'd add some Fuji Press 800.

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014