Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Apology
From: "Eve Girard" <evegir@reachone.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:02:42 -0700

Jeffery Smith sez:
> Free speech is one thing, but "Jap" is inflammatory.

I may have missed the event, but have not yet noted a person of Japanese
origin complaining about the "unfortunate" word.  This is not to excuse or
condone, but I suspect that Don is of an age to have experienced the use of
that word in posters, in news reports, and in very common useage.  The
"kinder" and "gentler" modern generations were spared the horrors of that
war but have benefited from its longterm effects.  Nippon was joined with
another country or two in Europe in its Axis alliance.  One of those
countries produced a certain brand of cameras whose existence defines this
list.  Those producers were also referred to by slurs in the wartime media.
Those of that generation are conditioned to respond on a basic level to
their wartime experiences.  How they respond externally is a matter of
awareness and upbringing.

We do have the common useage of "bad" words in our history (Conrad's "Person
of the Narcissus") or Twain's "Person Jim."), whether or not thay are
acceptable today was not the concern of the authors at the time of their
writing.  We, the revisionists and the PC folk of today, are left to
redefine and correct history as we see fit.  History, which has recorded
foul events on all sides of all conflicts, still exists as the written
conscience of mankind.  The very fact that this discussion is happening is
living proof that we have evolved into a more aware nation, that things are
working.

To spare Ted, I, too, will cease and desist, not "choosing to fight it out
along this line if it takes all summer."

And, to return to the Leica theme, what is the defining LTM 50mm lens?
Which one rocks your worlds?

Eve

Message from Jeffery Smith <jsmith@dcc.edu> (Re: [Leica] RE: Apology)